Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Maternity ward!

So I have been on the maternity ward for the past two days and it is a wonderful time. Seeing mothers bring life into this world is wonderful and you don't need to know what they are saying to see the happiness and glow on a mother's face when she is able to hold her baby for the first time!

So yesterday was crazy. We did a c-section on a patient, that the doctors said was "complicated", but it was the most non-bloody c-section I have ever witnessed! The patient lost probably less than 300 cc of blood (which is excellent for this procedure). What skills they have!

After the section I went into the labor and delivery room. Outside it was thundering pretty hard, so I prepared myself by putting on my head lamp. At this, the nursing students laughed because of my preparing for the storm. To note: We are in a rain forrest, and almost every time it rains here the lights go out, so I did not care about being made fun of. No one wants to be catching a baby and the lights go out on them!

Anyway, it started to pour down hard! I mean really hard, and the nursing students came and got me and told me in broken English, "the mother, she has to pee". I said "uhh, ok get a bed pan". They didn't know what I meant by bed pan, so I put on some gloves, showed them the pan and proceeded towards the mom, who was standing up, bent over the bed. I lift up her skirt and LORD BEHOLD THERE'S A BABY HEAD STICKING OUT OF HER VAGINA! I PROCEED TO FREAK OUT IN MY HEAD, and calmly say, "uhhh, there's a baby down here guys!"

So we get the midwife, and as he (the midwives are men) is delivering that baby, the other lady starts shouting!

In the end, I help bring a baby boy and a baby girl into the world, and got to deliver the placenta. The doctor said, "that's what happens in the storms, the low pressure makes them labor!" What a crazy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment