Tuesday, March 4, 2014

This past couple of weeks has been nothing short of amazing. While I have learned and experienced many new things in the surgery department, the story I would like to relate to you today is my experience on spiritual rounds last weekend. Tommy and I were able to accompany Dr. Albertson on his customary Sunday afternoon spiritual rounds. We visited with about 30 patients in the surgical ICU and on the male surgical floor. Don’t worry, the women weren’t neglected – Mrs. Albertson, Dr. DeLeon, and Stephanie went to their floor. With the help of our interpreter and intern, Leonce we prayed with about 20 patients, all of whom seemed very eager to have us come and visit with them. In fact, when we walked onto the ward, there were several beds empty, and by the time we had finished with the first patient, almost all of the patients had returned and were waiting for us. The eagerness for our patients to receive prayer from us has had a tremendous impact on the way that I view my responsibility as a soon-to-be physician. I believe we have been well-prepared for taking care of a patient’s physical and even emotional needs during our time in medical school, but this experience has prepared me for helping my patients to realize that true healing only comes through having a relationship with God. Through this trip, I feel like I finally know what it means to use medicine to bring glory to God and to reach the lost. Thank you all for your prayers and support.


Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment