Tuesday, March 4, 2014


Muraho readers!

This post was supposed to go up yesterday, so I apologize for the delay.

Monday marked the start of our last full week working at Kibogora. For many of us, last week was the time we really started to adjust to our roles in the hospital, which hopefully means this week will be a great chance to absorb the experience. On the surgical ward I can say that we're finally getting accustomed to having more of the responsibility falling to the students. A welcome side effect of more responsibility is more direct contact with patients. After hearing everyone's stories from last week, I'm loving the chance to interact with the people here on a more personal level. It's been humbling to see how patient they are with this lost Muzungo, and refreshing to see that a smile can cross language and cultural barriers.

If asked to describe the experience in one word, the only one that would fit is "beautiful". From the breathtaking landscape to the humbling generosity of our hosts, I have never found myself in a situation where I was more struck by the beauty of it all. I hope the pictures and stories we all share do it even a shred of justice.

Lastly, I want to thank you all for your prayers and support. There is no doubt that this trip would not be possible without a strong team back home, and we are endlessly grateful. Hard to believe that in just a couple short weeks we'll be sharing our experiences in person.

Take care, and thank you

TS

No comments:

Post a Comment