Friday, April 6, 2012

God's power changes lives


My apologies up front for a very scattered and not well thought out post.

Each day I am becoming more aware of how limited our time at Kibogora is. As Friday comes to a close, I realize we only have one more day of working at the hospital. The thought of leaving is more bitter than sweet. There are still beds filled with hurting people who need help, lives in which we could possibly make a difference.

One life, I believe God has allowed us to impact, is the life of Jacqueline. She is a young lady who has been in the hospital for one year with burns. When we arrived she was without hope of recovery and had no desire to continue living. I have worked with her every day to begin moving her three fingers and thumb on her left had as well as remobilizing her right shoulder. Ultimately I have tried to be her friend, encourage her that there is hope and most importantly pray!

One week ago Thursday, she received skin grafts on her right hand. The following day she was incredibly depressed. As I tried working with her, she pulled away. Jacqueline refused to smile or speak or work with me. I had a nurse tell her that she needed to work with me if she wanted to get better. Jacqueline said she did not care to get better because she only wanted to die. Instead, I sat on her bed and prayed for her. But in my heart I was really discouraged.

Monday, Jacqueline was in good spirits. She worked with me, she ate, she went outside, and she was smiling again. Every day this week has been better than the day before. On Wednesday we happened to be doing rounds as she was drinking hot cereal. Dr. Albertson showed Jacqueline how to hold the bowl herself and she ate more than I have ever seen her eat before.

A few hours later, I came into the women’s ward to work with patients, and Jacqueline was preparing to eat rice and beans. Apparently feeding herself inspired an appetite that she has not had since she was admitted one year ago. She managed to hold the spoon between her thumb and palm and feed herself. Today Jacqueline had the bandages removed for the first time since the skin graft. And she was excited to tell me that it is healing well. I know that this is the power of God.

In the past days I have worked with Jacqueline, and many other patients, I have felt inadequate and under trained. While I have enjoyed being able to spend time with the same people each day and build relationships (as much as is possible when I cannot speak their language), I have been quite unsure of myself.

Because of my felt inadequacies, I have been praying without ceasing. I always need to rely on God, but it is very easy when I feel adequate to think I no longer need him every moment of every day. Additionally, I am able to give glory to God for the work he has done in Jacqueline’s life, and the life of other patients I have worked with. My hope and prayer is that this change will be a lasting change because whether I feel like I need God or not, I do.

“But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

-Leanna

2 comments:

  1. Precious story....God IS definitely making a difference through each of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today I really interacted with her for the first time, she came up to William and I and started singing! She was laughing and looked joyful. It was a touching moment for me! -elizabeth

    ReplyDelete