Monday, March 26, 2012

A Spirit of Love


Muraho! It’s been a week since we have arrived in Kibogora. Even though it’s been such a short time I have already fallen in love not only with the people of Kibogora, but my team as well. I was nervous about joining such a close group of friends; however, that quickly changed. From morning devotions to late night catch phrase, I have enjoyed every moment with this group. It is evident they all love each other, and everyone has been a Godly example to me.  The leadership of this group is amazing.  Dr. Peevy and his wife, Micki, have taught me so much in the NICU/PEDS rounds the past week. I’m eager for my surgery rounds with Dr. Albertson and Jean Claude next week. God has really blessed us with a great team.


Like I said I have been doing my rounds with Dr. Peevy and Dr. Ngoy, one of the local doctors.  I was overwhelmed by the sickness. There were so many patients with problems that would never have gotten this far in the States. Innocent babies are dying almost daily. It’s a different world here. Pictures don’t begin to show the sickness and brokenness of this country. I am praying for the Lord to make His name known and not only physically heal these people, but heal and transform their hearts.  During the past week we have seen many cases you would never imagine seeing in the States. Traditional Medicine is very popular in the African culture; however, the traditional healers typically hurt rather than help. Today we had a baby who had been burned on the chest by a traditional healer and the burn is now extremely infected. It is also common to see scars all over a baby’s abdomen, and sometimes face. It’s difficult for me to see these children suffer when it could be so easily avoided. Even though it is challenging, it has caused me to trust in the Lord’s sovereignty.

            For this trip I am praying for several things. First, I am praying for boldness for our team. 2 Timothy 1:7 states, “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control”. Second, I am praying for hearts to be changed. Not only the hearts of the Rwandans, but the hearts of our team as well. Third, I am praying we will never forget how lost we were in our sin and how gracious the Lord was to rescue us from death and exchange that fate with eternal life with Him forever.

In Christ,
Caroline 

No comments:

Post a Comment