Saturday, December 14, 2013

Day two of. Clinic in Peru:
Today was our teams's second and final day in clinic in the small village of Quenca, and It was nothing short of life changing! We made the early morning drive again, up the mountain, full of hope to what the day would bring. We all filled new positions today and knew we would be stretched to our limits.
I was placed in the Women's health room, and I will admit I was scared because of my lack of experience in this area. I prayed this morning for the Holy Spirit to guide me and for the Lord to strengthen me; and the way He showed up in the Women's unit was indescribable. Many of our patients required examinations and tests, that in the united states we believe to be normal in a women's clinic, but in this culture were uncomfortable and not commonly talked about. Along with the treatment and examination, I was given the opportunity to talk to patients and ask about their symptoms , their lifestyle, and intimate details of their lives. This level of vulnerability opened the door for the discussion about knowing Christ. More importantly, knowing Him as a Savior and healer. My heart went out to each woman seen today from 17 to 70 years old. Many spoke through tears as they described their pain and physical ailments, and their faces longed for help. At the end of each examination they were full of gratitude and excited to begin the treatment we had prescribed. More importantly though, all of them said they knew Jesus and were receptive to prayer with us. We were able to pray as sisters in Christ and ask for healing in His name. I walked away today full of clinical knowledge but so changed spiritually. I feel that today changed the way I see myself as a health  care provider. I may have been reluctant to enter into women's health, but the vulnerability and opportunity within this was amazing. These women have been handed a burden much heavier than most to carry, but they serve the Lord and remain thankful, seeking God's face for comfort in their time of need.
We left the clinic to have a "chocolatada" celebration with the children of the village we brought Christmas gifts for. They innocence and joy was so contagious to our team. We all drank hot chocolate and gave gifts while discussing the birth of Jesus. Overall, today was one I will never forget. God is doing big things in this place and I am so blessed to be a part of it.

-mailande

No comments:

Post a Comment