Thursday, April 4, 2013

Orthopaedics at Kibogora Hospital

I want to begin by begging your collective pardon for the brevity of this post. We have had many cases recently and will continue to have many more, so the ortho team's time is limited at best.
Part of the appeal of orthopaedics is how missions-applicable it is. It's been a sincere joy to be able to come into this hospital, identify patients and their needs, and surgically correct the malady to the best of our ability. For example, we got a boy named Pierre into our clinic last week who had the absolute worst case of knock knees I've ever seen. Pierre could barely walk, and if he did, he was in excruciating pain. After much research into the angles and surgical correction by Dr. Albertson, we were able to surgically correct his left knee with plans for he right knee when his left heals. Now, this, in and of itself, doesn't leave you with this deep feeling of happiness or the typical warm fuzzies you get when you usually are able to help someone. However, after surgery, when his sister was waiting for him outside the OR, we pulled back the sheet covering his newly-straight leg, and her face broke into the broadest, brightest smile I've seen since I've been here. From my standpoint, I consider that a job well done. If you're reading this blog and need a blessing in your life, go out and do something for someone else. Not only do you bless them, but the blessing you receive in return is far greater than you can ever imagine. I'm so thankful that God placed me into such a missions-applicable field.
Borrowed from Philippians 4:21
Give my greetings to each of God’s holy people—all who belong to Christ Jesus. The brothers and sisters who are with me send you their greetings.
-Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment