Friday, March 22, 2013

Eye Opening

Traveling to foreign countries and participating in different cultures is something that I have come to truly love. Serving people as the hands and feet of Christ is the best part. I am finding no matter how many places you go there will be similarities and differences in every people group.

My travels began in Argentina and have expanded to Guatemala, West Africa, and currently East Africa. Hundreds and thousands of miles separate these countries. Despite the different languages, climates, and over all cultures I have noticed some similarities. One....the people always think Americans are extremely funny when they attempt to speak the language...or maybe they just laugh at me. Who knows? Secondly, they all just want to be loved. We come into these areas to serve these people by providing medical services, vacation bible school, or simply telling them about Jesus. No matter how little they have they take you in as family and offer it all to you. They attempt to serve you and ultimately end up blessing you more than you ever could have blessed them in return.

This journey for me began after a few discussions of last years trip with Dr.Peevy. I wanted the opportunity to go serve people with my medical knowledge. The gift that I felt God had given me. I was amazed as God opened the doors and provided above and beyond what I needed to make this journey. Dr. Peevy attempted to educate me on what NICU life is like here in Rwanda. Needless to say it was still an eye opening experience.

Initially in the NICU I was somewhat frustrated about things I thought needed improvement. The first day of work left me wondering what could be done to "fix" things. I prayed for understanding about the challenges they faced instead of a selfish view of how we could make it better for them. We joke in the states about the fact that in the NICU we have to be creative to make equipment small enough for our special patients. Well...creative does not begin to describe what the women of Kibogora hospital need to be. Adult home CPAP machines provide CPAP to the infants in the NICU here when needed. Actually, ONE adult machine. They also have one old bubble CPAP machine as well. With no compressed gas source ventilation of intubated patients in nearly impossible. A team must be created to manually bag infants around the clock. The list of challenges and how they have overcome things goes on and on. I mention these things because today as I examined a former 28 week infant who survived despite these circumstances I realized that God has blessed this place. There are no state of the art resources, but these men and women who work here are learning to do good things with a whole lot less. The greatest moment though....I got the the privilege of putting this NICU's first heart rate monitor on a baby and show them how to use it. To see the joy on the head nurses face as she realized they had a real monitor was a blessing beyond what I expected.

I pray that I do not return to my NICU as the same person. I hope to return grateful to provide care to the infants at USACW with abundant equipment.

Thank you to all the supporters who provided financially and in prayer. Your investment is going to change my life. God is just getting started in Kibogora.

Jamie










2 comments:

  1. Awesome testimony Jamie! Really excited for what God it's teaching you about Himself, about people around the globe, and about yourself. Keep up the good work and hold on tight because God's good work in you(and through you) is just beginning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jamie I love the pictures!!! Your heart for people around the world is just summed up in these pictures!! I"m praying for you and where God leads you next!!! I wish I were there too!!! ~Heather

    ReplyDelete